14.6.05

Smells

Do you remember smells?
Just so once in a while I am overwhelmed by a scent - it can immediately catapult me back into the past and bring back - very vividly - memories i thought were long forgotton. And I am not only talking about perfumes of certain people. It is the memory of the smell of very peculiar things for instance the hairspray my grandmother used to have, or, just like I experienced today, the scent of the building of a school I went to - and together with that - memories about the wonderful time I had there.

This last smell is captured in the staircase-hall in the office-building where I work now here in Edinburgh. And I treasure this smell - on times when I maybe feel the need to be transformed back to those happy days, I decide to take the stairs and take a deep breath... and it keeps me fit as well




Perfume - Patrick Suskind
Regus Business Centre - Edinburgh

2 opmerkingen:

Sarah zei

I have the same thing with fresh peas. Or "tomaten in een serre" (hoe zeg je dat in godsnaam in het engels?). Or certain soups certain people make. Or sometimes, just very sometimes, the smell of the earth, or a tree, .. Or.. I know that feeling!

MoF zei

smell is very important. I was given a big nose and since it is not too decorative I try to use it as much as i can... ususally i have a smell associated to the important things, persons, places...
Smells I like a lot: seaside, fuel (don't call me freak!), just toasted coffee, someone that smells soap, the flower of the orange tree...