23.8.06

Little red things

*
I was sitting at my desk at the office when suddenly, by seeing “it” I was confronted with a sudden flashback of my youth… and then I realised it was indeed a very long time since I had seen these things… * I can very vividly remember seeing them as a child in summertime on the blue stones of my grandparents entry of their house.

I am talking about those very little red spider-kinda-like animals… I cannot really name them, since even in Dutch I wouldn’t know what their name is (in my youth we called them “donderbeestjes” but after some research that turned out to be another kind of small spidery animal…). Does anybody now their name and what they * are?

I have already seen two on my desk now (on the same day). We work in a very green environment here, but it struck me to see them in this kinda un-green environment… I would have taken a picture of them, were it not that I have squeezed them with my pen (the only proof of them being here are two small reddish bloody spots…) – I made a little drawing in illustrator to help identify them…
They actually look like red asterisks - just like this: *
or zoomed in like this:

5 opmerkingen:

Sarah zei

Haha! I saw some of those a while ago and I was thrown back into my childhood as well!

We used to see them on the small walls around our playground. We used to call them "rooie spinnekes", how original! They almost look transluscent, don't they?

Happy to know they're still there :)

Alrac zei

Actually, I have never seen one...
Are they something similiar to these?:
http://www.infojardin.com/PLAGAS_Y_ENF/PLAGAS/Fotos_plagas/arana-roja-detalle.jpg

If they are, I found some info very interesting for people fond of gardening; in fact, it is a quite common plague. The pity is I found all the info in Spanish

Miss K zei

Yes! I also remember these little red things! And they really do look like an asterix... I used to see them on the path in my parents garden, especially when the stones were hot from the sunshine. Haven't seem them in a while though. Funny to hear they are still 'out there'!

jaaan zei

You're probably talking about our little fellow: 'fluweelmijt'. The new schoolyear haven't started yet and I'll allready playing my educatung roll.
http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluweelmijt

greetZ Jan

Stoffel zei

was looking at some pictures online of the "fluweelmijt" but on those pictures the little animal looks very big, unless they are all very enlarged pics... is there something about their average size?