24.10.05

Corpse Bride

What a weekend… on Friday night… hmm… on Friday night I… hmm… can’t seem to remember what I did on Friday… oh yes… it all comes back to me now… falling asleep in front of the television with Amelie Poulin… nice very nice

On Saturday, after an excruciating work-out in the gym, I had some drinks at Emilie’s place and then went out with Patrick. Sunday then… aaah sometimes I really love Sundays… doing absolutely nothing… sitting/hanging/sleeping in the couch in front of the television… the only reason worth leaving the house was to go and see Corpse Bride, the new animation film from Tim Burton.

Now before I continue I must confess one thing: I have never seen “The Nightmare Before Christmass” … shame on me… I hear that it’s a classic animation film…
Anyway, lured by the prospect of seeing… euhm… hearing Johnny Depp play alongside this wonderful crew of British actors such as Emilie Watson en Helena Bonham Carter, I found myself watching this new movie.





And I really liked it. It has everything what in my eyes a good animation needs: a good story, going from a to b, a playful musical score and lots of witty humour. But (yes there it is, the “but”) the creators seem to fail in one aspect, but rather an important one. They seem to fail to create empathy. And this I think has two main reasons.

First of all I think the movie is too short… by the time you really get to know the characters and come to like them, the whole thing is over.

But more importantly the story seems not able to decide with which character to sympathize… should you feel sorry for Victor (yes, that’s Johnny Depp) who accidentally marries a dead woman? Or for Victoria (a tribute to Victor and Victoria) who looses her fiancée to a skeleton? or maybe for the Corpse Bride because she cannot seem to get the love she so longed for…? As a result you seem to watch the whole film as an neutral outsider, who can enjoy all the things he sees, but wonders why actually he is watching…

But on the whole, a very entertaining film though, maybe something to rent as a dvd and watch on a rainy Sunday…

4 opmerkingen:

Anoniem zei

Ajajajaj!! Spam-message on your blog! Any way to block this 'anonymous'-spam-person?

Just a quick message to let you know that Heather Nova was in Antwerp yesterday and that the concert was marvellous! Still humming the tunes and smiling and hearing the echo of her high angel-like voice in my ears...

Stoffel zei

can delete these comments... great Heather Nova! She didn't by any chance sing "the Ship Song", a song she covered from Nick Cave, my personal God :-)

Anoniem zei

"Come sail your ships around me, and burn all bridges down..."
The Ship Song! Love that! (also a Nick Cave fan in case you didn't know). But no, she didn't.

One more week before you're here?

Anoniem zei

unbelievable: still not on the cinemas here in Bcn! So please don't reveal too much of the story!