28.10.05

Pink Martini



I know Pink Martini almost exactly 5 years now, since I was studying in Finland with Maria – who introduced me to this amazing band. They are an eclectic mix of musicians, with their main base in Portland, USA. Although the band is centred around the pianist (could be the lost son of Elton John) and the diva-style singer, every musician has its moment of glory and contributes to the unique sound of this band. They bring a mix of traditional folk songs from around the world, not afraid to perform songs in Italian, French and even Japanese, combined with their own jazzy songs.

So yesterday night they were here in Edinburgh, and all dressed up in true Pink Martini-style (or at least something we think that is) we (that is my new friends Audrey and Jodi from New Zealand and Australia and Patrick) went to see them performing in Usher Hall. And they rather easily lived up the (high raised) expectations… I was a bit worried, because I had almost dragged the others to the concert – none of them really knew what they were up to… but it turned out really really well… Maybe just a bit too short… and I wished Maria was here to enjoy it with me... and joris off course as well, since i hooked him up with Pink Martini as well... ah...

3 opmerkingen:

Anoniem zei

"when I was just a little girl, I asked my mother what will I be? will I be pretty, will I be rich? That's what she said to me: qué será? será? wherever will be, will be. The future is not ours to see, qué será, será?"

I wish I was there too! Maybe some day in some city! By the way, congratulations for the windows! One can work better when there is natural light and nice views!

BK, m.

Anoniem zei

unless the view attracks your mind away from your duties... :-)

Anoniem zei

8 november PINK MARTINI in Brussels... it was the perfect rainy and foggy Highland soundtrack, i'm curious to see them live!