29.9.06

I am nuts!


Yesterday night, while being in Turnhout, we paid a surprise visit to the parents of M. We just went to say hi, but were treated on ice cream and drinks! M. has a real ‘mama’ that takes care of her guests just like your typical mom. On the way out, she asked if somebody of us didn’t care to have some fresh-from-the tree walnuts, and guess who couldn’t refuse that offer?

They are healthy (contain omega3 acids good for cholesterol and reduce the risk of cancer) and very nutritious (they provide protein, several essential vitamins and minerals, and antioxidants, yet are free of trans fats and cholesterol. Thank you Google) and even the Romans considered nuts as the food for Gods…

As a child me and my sister used to spend hours opening nuts and pealing of the brown-yellowish layer that covers the inside… But I always wondered if this in necessary or advisable? is it good to eat this layer? Is it a nutritious part? I don’t think it tastes good anyway and still like to try to peal it of – if I can find the patience that is…

8 opmerkingen:

Sarah zei

I lOVE nuts!! All kinds and sorts of nuts!!

And i used to peel them off too, just because they look so beautiful and blank when the brown thingy is gone. But I think you can eat that "thingy" anyway.

Hmmm...

Anoniem zei

OK! I also like nuts a lot, but i allways eat them with the brown thing, I hope it has lots of vitamins, minerals, oligoelements, etc. and i am also too lazy to take it off...

Anyway: my favourite crèpe: black chocolat, banana and nuts! or if you prefer the salty flavour: toasted bread, iberic ham, dry cheese and red wine! this is very good as dinner.

And a last linguistic confussions: what is nut? nut is for the general name of the family or like from macadamia nut? Anyway, nuts in general are very good for the memory and the brain because they have phosphorus.

Anoniem zei

ja ja mijn mami is the best.
Sarah, ik zal voor u een zakje meebrengen als je wil. De notenkraker kan je uitlenen bij kristof die heeft ze ook meegegeven... All Inclusive service bij de familie Devel ;o)
x

Anoniem zei

While travelling with Joris in the Perigord (France), we saw a lot of nuts trees… One of the specialities of the Perigord is the nuts cake (very nice, ask Jojo)!
The trees are on private grounds and you are not allow to pick them up, however a woman told us today that more than 1000 kilos were stolen each year by the tourists.
Fortunately, Joris never asked me to steal some… He was more attracted by the bunches of grape and wanted me to stop the care to pick up some… Sory Jojo!!!

kaka

jaaan zei

If you're a nut, yuo're cool. But the walnut isn't my favourit. Give me the 'pistache nutjes' instead, they're my number one.

Miss K zei

I'm pretty sure you can eat the brown 'thingy', I always do and it's never made me sick. My favourit is the hazelnut.

Sarah zei

My favourite is and always will be de kastanje!!!!!

en magi, bedankt maar wij hebben al een notenkraker (omdat ik zo'n fervente fan ben he ;)

Anoniem zei

we just eat lots of peanut butter. no need to peel off anything! give me a peanut butter and jelly sandwich any time of the day! or peanut butter and maple syrup, hmmmm, another one of those things we have plenty of here in montreal. we used to make snickers sandwiches (yummie yummie) back home, but we haven't found any decent chocolat spread yet.

tinneke